Back to South Korea: Year 3

Dear Friends, Family, Readers:

Well a second teaching contract has come and gone. As most of you know, I completed the last day of my last teaching contract on October 20th, after which, I took a 5 week vacation home to get in some much needed family and friends time. I got to do tons of fun stuff including spending a week out in Virginia with my sis and hitting the slopes opening weekend with my not-so-little-anymore brother. I also got to meet my best friend's first baby and eat tons of delicious and fattening foods. Right after Thanksgiving festivities and making sure Mom's house was good and full of holiday cheer (aka we put up the tree), I got on a plane and came back to Korea.


The tree at the parents' house
Taco Tuesday gathering at Aunt Vickie's








A photo of my new apt (still unpacking as you can see)
I now work at a large English Academy in Gwangju teaching primarily the smartest kindergartners I've ever met. They are a ton of fun and I enjoy making them laugh and being silly with them. They are keeping me young. I love that we study a different textbook/topic every day and have time in class to do fun activities like having indoor snowball fights and making treats like Ants on a Log! Every Wednesday, I bring out my puppet friend/ 'pet' Kermit the frog. The students love it. They ask where he is every day, so I always make up some excuse that keeps him gone for a week such as, "Kermit is on vacation on Japan this week" or "Kermit got sick and the doctor says he needs to stay home and rest". It's great. The other day, we were doing a role play story in which the dragon (me) is killed by the princess (a student). After being killed, I rose from the dead as a zombie teacher and remained in that state for about three minutes. I had all of the kids hiding under their desks and cowering in the corner. Needless to say, some brave student eventually killed me again, after which, I arose once again as Eden Teacher. Now they, of course are always asking for 'Zombie Teacher' and I just act like I haven't any memory of the event. :)

Monday was my first experience taking a class on a field trip. We went to a sausage factory where the kids got to play and learn how to make sausages. There was also an indoor playground for the kids. I may or may not have played with the blocks and/or crawled under the jungle gym. The kids loved it!

Me and the kids at the sausage factory
Gwangju life feels very fast-paced compared to my life in Naju. It seems like there is always something happening. I love that I live in the same neighborhood as my church and only about 15 minutes by bus from downtown. December is a crazy month with loads of Christmas events to attend and music gigs to play. Saturday night there's caroling. On Sunday, I get to wake up early and help prepare our church's Christmas lunch which our church family will enjoy together after the special joint service with the Korean congregation. Sunday afternoon, I'll be playing at an event with some fellow musicians for the migrant center here in Gwangju. And at the end of the month, I'm going snowboarding at a resort near Seoul! Now, if the weather would just get a bit cooler so we can get some snow! (Temps here have still been around the 40's and today I think it hit 50). It's nice, but then again, a little tough for shredding.

Starting in January, I plan to get back into my bible studies, ministering with the worship team as well as writing more regularly. I have to say, although I enjoyed my time home immensely, it's good to be back in Korea. God has blessed me so much with many opportunities for growth, ministry and new friendships. I am excited to see what He does in this next year.

Comments

Popular Posts