2015 Reflections and Resolutions


“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.” -Norman Vincent Peale

I love that quote. I think I love it so much not just because it is beautiful, but because I really believe it is true. Some people don’t believe in making long lists of resolutions for the New Year because too often they only end in discouragement and failure. I have seen in my own experience, however, that any goal, even an unrealistic one, is better than having no goal, for a person with goals is nearly guaranteed to make it farther than a person with none.

Tonight, as I finished teaching my last class of the night and began packing up my things before leaving work, my boss stopped me, insisting that I cut some cake for myself and take it with me. I didn’t really want the cake, but she really seemed to desire that I have it, so to please her I portioned off a slice and then went on my way. It wasn’t till I set foot outside of my workplace that the fact it was New Year’s Eve really began to sink in. Korean families were bustling about on their way to restaurants and parties, and music and lights blared from somewhere near the middle of the city. Wow, it was the last day of 2015, and tomorrow was not only a Friday, but a day off from work. What a nice way to start the New Year. As I walked up the hill leading to my apartment in the cool night air with the stars twinkling above me, there arose within me a sense of excitement. I was happy that I had decided to decline invitations to New Year’s Eve parties this year. Parties were fun, but I have always found it impossible to reflect on the year surrounded by friends and festivities. This year would be different. I had no plans, except for to walk the poodle I was dog-sitting for a friend and then eat my piece of cake alone in my apartment. I began to formulate my evening schedule in my mind as I walked. The closer I came to my apartment, the more excited I was becoming at the prospect of spending the evening in my home reflecting on the past year and anticipating the next without distraction.

I arrived at my apartment, walked the dog and ate my cake. Then, I decided I ought to clear the dishes from the sink, take out the trash and fold the laundry that had been drying on the rack in my living room. This way, I’d be able to start the year off right in the morning without any lingering chores from last year lying about.

Chores finished, I could finally sit down to do the much anticipated reflecting, which leads me to my present situation, typing these words on my laptop as I sit at my desk, surrounded by Christmas decorations and a flickering candle to my right. Almost every year, I take time to make resolutions for the coming year, but I have never thought to reflect on the past year at the same time, listing my top biggest happenings. A friend of mine shared his with me while we were at coffee the other day, and I thought it was a great idea, and so this year, I decided to list my top biggest happenings from the year as well. They are as follows.

1.       I got Lasik on my eyes. It is so convenient and freeing not to have to rely on glasses, to see the stars clearly at night.
2.       I realized that I accomplished two bucket-list goals this year, the first being playing my violin in the streets for money…
3.       The second being writing my first full-length novel in the month of November (National Novel Writing Month).
4.       I published two pieces of creative fiction this year – a short story in the Gwangju News, and a longer short story in an anthology put together by a local group of foreign writers here in South Korea.
5.       My sister, Stacia, got married this year and I was able to travel home to participate in the wedding! (This was also my first time being a maid-of-honor!)
6.       I achieved clear skin through seeing a dermatologist for six weeks after having struggled with face acne for years. I am finally confident enough to go out without makeup! (I still wear eye makeup, however, cuz I like the way it looks on me) :p
7.       I had more success maintaining a proper diet and exercise schedule than any previous year. This I attribute to my consistent afternoon work schedule and lack of university homework J
8.       I learned how to read, write and speak basic Korean (along with gaining other cultural knowledge and making many Korean friends).
9.       I saw Niagara Falls for the first time (in Toronto)!
10.   I gave my first public presentation that wasn’t school or church related. This was a talk and performance about music which I presented at the Gwangju International Center back in July.
11.   I realized writing as a true passion of mine and committed myself to seriously developing this talent as my main form of ministry.
12.   I was awarded the title of “Head Teacher” at my academy. (Basically this means that I am the representative and communications liaison between the other teachers and our bosses and also do a little extra side work for the academy).
13.   I learned that I can handle living alone after my roommate left me when her contract ended in October.
14.   I became an early riser (sort of).
15.   I started eating salads!

I never realized how neat it could be to look back and summarize the year in this way. It’s easy to only focus on the things you did not accomplish and forget to celebrate the many accomplishments you did achieve! I really do feel amazed, blessed and surprised at all that has transpired this past year. 2015 was truly wonderful.

And now for the fun part… resolutions for 2016.
1.       (Drumroll for the most “unexpected” resolution of all time... weightloss!) Haha, but in all seriousness, I’d like to lose 8 more pounds. Currently I weigh 143, but I think for my build and height, I’m technically supposed to weigh a maximum of 135. I’d like to achieve it just once to see how I look and feel. This goal isn’t because I feel that I’m overweight, simply something I want to challenge myself by, to push my limits.
2.       I’d like to begin street performing on my violin regularly to raise money for causes such as Liberty in North Korea. I’ll strive to do this a minimum of twice per month as the weather allows.
3.       I want to volunteer this year with an organization in the community. This will probably involve working with orphans or underprivileged children.
4.       I want to be more proactive about making non-Christian friends that I can be a light to.
5.       I plan to complete another full-length novel in November 2016.
6.       I want to begin writing articles regularly for the Gwangju News as to build my writing portfolio.
7.       I plan to attend monthly KOTESOL meetings in my chapter to develop myself as a better teacher.
8.       I’m going to make my diet even healthier. I’ll refrain from eating any food from a package that has preservatives or isn’t organic. In addition, I will try not to eat any junk food whatsoever for one entire year. I won’t have any “cheat days” on special occasions or weekends either.
9.       I’d like to record a professional quality cd on my violin.
10.   I want to improve my outlook for this year so that the focus is less on myself and more on God and others. I also want to live minimally, not indulging in any unnecessary purchases for myself, instead investing in the lives of those in need.
11.   There are lots of big changes I hope to make in my academy to make it a better, more effective and more successful institution.
12.   I want to grow in my Christian walk, especially in boosting my knowledge of apologetics.
13.   I want to read a minimum of one book per month.
14.   I want to wake up regularly at 6:00 am. This will allow me the time I need to complete all the items on my daily to do list (such as studying Korean and exercising).
15.   I desire to improve my Korean by leaps and bounds this year by consistently studying at least one hour per day.

So there it is, reflections and resolutions. At the turn of the New Year, I feel something different from other years. I have a feeling that big and amazing things are going to happen this year, specifically, in my life. I don’t know exactly in what shape those things will form themselves, but I just have this hunch that it’s going to be a wonderful, crazy year with unimaginable experiences and growth. Perhaps it will be the best year yet. Who knows? Life’s a mystery, that’s what makes it such a great adventure!

Soli Deo Gloria.

-Eden

Comments

Popular Posts