The Latest from Korea

Well, I figured it was about time I posted an update, since my last one was six months ago. So much has happened since then, I hardly know where to begin. I guess it makes sense to start with last fall.

I finished my last contract at my school in Naju in September last year. If you read my previous update, you may remember that I was struggling with the decision of whether or not to stay at that school or move on. Well, after some laborious thought and prayer, I went with the latter option. After my contract ended, I was able to visit my family in Wisconsin for about five long, sweet, weeks. At the end of that time, I returned to South Korea and began a new teaching job at a private school in Gwangju.

Mel visited me in May! Here, we are in a tower overlooking Gwangju.


Gwangju has become my favorite place in all of South Korea. It is the country’s sixth largest city with a population of roughly 1.5 million (standing in stark contrast to Seoul -- the capital’s -- 10.29 million!) I love the city for many reasons. For me, it’s just the right size – not too big and not too small, although in some places it sort of has a big city feel, just a few mile’s drive outside the city will land you straight in the middle of nature and beautiful mountains. The vibe of the community has a lot to do with why I love the city as well. I would describe Gwangju as a very “artsy” place. You can find sculptures and art galleries all over the main areas of the city. I have even had the chance to meet several famous artists and received private tours of their work spaces. Also within Gwangju is a place that has become very dear to my heart, the Daein Night Market. Let me take you on a brief tour of that place now:

If you go to the NC Wave department store in the center of downtown Gwangju, walk two blocks and hang a left at the 7-11, you’ll find yourself wandering down a tunnel that reeks of seafood and you’ll see that the street is lined with tanks from which those smells are coming. You will observe skate fish and eels, and octopus, and squid, and oysters, and buckets of tiny little crabs, and a plethora of other unfamiliar sea creatures – things most of us westerners would never imagine eating. Keep walking: you will run into the deep fried food zone where you can get fried sweet potato, fried crab, fried chicken, fried pork, fried shrimp, fried seaweed, fried everything. You could also get roasted larva or ice candy or spam wrapped in bacon. Divert your eyes from the bacon, keep walking and before long you will see on your right a little space called “Dreamers”. There’ll be a crowd of people standing outside peering through the open wall at some musicians playing their hearts out or serenading with a ballad. The chalk board to the side lists bands from Korea, mixed groups of Westerners, an artist from Sri Lanka, and a trio from the Philippines. Enter the space to the left of the performers and there, on the wall among charming photographs of Saturday nights passed, you will read the following song lyrics:
Performing at the Dreamer's Space at the night market

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... You...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

And after reading these words, and perhaps sharing a brief introductory chat with the organizer and the folks lingering around, you will understand the mission of this special place: to break the walls -- or in other words -- to bring together people from all around the world, despite race, religion or rank. This is the Daein night market, where I come to play my fiddle nearly every weekend. My introduction to this place has led to countless new (and important) relationships for me which have continued to develop over the past six months. These new relationships have not only challenged and grown me, but they have also led to exciting opportunities. For example, one of my musician friends, a pianist, composed a western album and asked me to write the violin parts for it. We had our debut performance of the album two weeks ago and have dates to record later this month. I’ll also be recording two violin albums (hopefully) at the end of the summer, so ya’ll back home who have been missing my music, be excited for that! Lastly, in October, I will be joining a Dreamer’s trip to Mongolia where I’ll have the opportunity to share my music and interact with the natives for ten days! We also plan to spend some significant time at an orphanage there our coordinator has contact with. The trip video footage may even be developed into a documentary!

With a sweet 'grandma' at the elderly home
As for ministry and the spiritual side of life, I continue to be involved at the wonderful church I have found here in Gwangju. My main areas of service are as a worship team member (playing the violin, of course), writing church newsletters and articles for the blog, partaking in weekly opportunities such as bible studies and visits to the local nursing home, and in individual relationships. Currently, I am very burdened for those in poverty around the city as well as the elderly and disabled. I am praying for more opportunities to minister to these specific needs within my reach.

Many people ask me how I like my new job. It’s great, overall! I teach some super cute kindergarteners along with a number of elementary students. One major difference from my last job is that I now work a 9-5 schedule instead of 2-10. The location of my job is one of the best parts. I live in Pungam-dong which is a lovely little neighborhood within a 10-min walk to my school, gym, grocery stores, restaurants, etc. The job does wear me out, and my biggest complaint is that I often struggle to find time for writing these days between the new schedules and practicing my music, but I’m working on balancing all that out.

A few of the cuties I teach

The second question I get a lot is, how long do you think you will stay in Korea? The answer is, probably a while (like three or more). This is a great place for me right now. I am growing, chipping away at those school loans, and, honestly, having a great time! I do miss all you lovelies back home, however, and can’t wait till the next time I get to spend time with you face to face again. When will that be? Currently I don’t have my next visit scheduled (darned plane tickets are so expensive) but I hope perhaps sometime next year.

If you’d like to pray for me, you can pray that I will find the right balance in my schedule between my job, music, being healthy (i.e. finding time to exercise and eat right), and ministry. Pray that I will continue to grow in wisdom and always remain in tune with what God is calling me to do. Lastly, pray for energy and health! The pollution here in Korea is absolutely awful. I feel like I’ve been congested for the better half of the last year, like having a cold that never goes away, and with that, the side effect of fatigue.

I don’t want to end on a negative note. Despite some minor struggles, God remains so good to me, and the summary of my life is that I am blessed! In every area, and in each direction I look. I am blessed with a sustaining job, the opportunity to live abroad and to share my gifts with others, and amazing friendships! If you made it this far in my blog post, then, congratulations, you’ve reached the end! Thank you very much for reading and keeping up with my life out here. When you guys read my stuff, it really means a lot to me!

Love Always,

Eden

Comments

  1. Gah, I just love you and your adventures so much! <3 Have a happy birthday and I can't wait to hear about the Mongolia trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eden, I am always thrilled to hear what God is doing with your life. I am thankful that I saw you a couple times when you were home.
    Your life sounds amazing! Except for the bad smells and the polution.
    I Love that you have the opportunity to visit an orphanage. The opportunity to go to Mongolia, I wonder if 10 years ago you could see these things in your future.
    God is so Great !!!
    Love you,
    Happy Birthday tomorrow !!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts