New Seasons

I love it when the seasons change, especially the change from summer to autumn.

Change, in general is something I've come to appreciate. Its refreshing and exciting, like turning the next page in a crisp, hardcover novel, you never know exactly what is going to happen, but there is an excitement in the anticipation of finding out. I am thoroughly enjoying my season of change here in Korea. I'm especially excited that fall seems to have officially moved in. We still get some surprise 75-degree afternoons, but mornings and evenings the weather is, what I consider to be, prime. These days the scenery is just lovely: its cool enough for a light jacket or hoodie yet not so chilly that you are rushing to get indoors, leaves are scattered across the streets, food vendors are on the corners selling delicious treats with smells that waft through the alleyways, and beautiful colors are every where. It is not uncommon for me to run into medium to large groups of my students cascading across the city, usually in transit from their first school to their after-school academies. "Hello teacher!" They shout at me from across the street, looking happy to see me. This always brings a smile to my face.

The past weeks since I last wrote have continued to go well. I'm really getting comfortable in the class room and feel that I have pretty well established some effective classroom management techniques. The ages I teach are from about 8 years-old upwards to 16. This means that attention spans are short, and sometimes attitudes are rather snide. Therefore, I have found it most helpful to develop a point system in class. Students get points for answering questions and good behavior and likewise points are deducted for poor behavior and breaking the rules. My five core class rules are: 1. No Talking 2. No Korean 3. No phones 4. If you have a question, raise your hand (rather than shouting "Teacher! Teacher!" incessantly)  5. No talking bad about other students or teachers (this happens a lot). The consequences for getting negative points are as follows: -1 point= you are in the red zone, -2= you must stand for the rest of class or until you are out of the red zone, -3= you must raise both hands into the air for 5 minutes while continuing to stand, -4= you are kicked out of class for the day. It is rare for a student to make it to -3 and -4 points, but it does happen. At the end of class, whichever student has the most positive points is awarded with a piece of candy! Luckily for me, Korean students LOVE candy and it is a great motivator for them still -- even the older ones.

Today, after church, we had our monthly potluck! It was my first time experiencing one here and it was an amazing time of fellowship and sharing of DELICIOUS food. International style potlucks are the best! We had kimchi, rice, and kim-bop right alongside some amazing homemade chili, next to fruit and, can-you-believe-it, Krispie Creme donuts! Mmm mm! I felt super official today when pastor Myoung asked me to do the honor of praying for the meal. After eating and chatting and playing with some adorable Asian babies, I helped clean up and then headed home to rest!

In summary, things are still going great! I feel privileged and blessed beyond measure that God has brought me to this place and I cannot wait to see the things he has in store for the future. Winter is just around the corner!

Comments

Popular Posts